Elevetha

A Sea of Stars

Teenaged. Clinomaniac. Caffeine Addicted. Fangirl. Bibliomaniac. Introverted.

Challenge Participant

These Broken Stars

These Broken Stars - Amie Kaufman, Meagan Spooner

The story is fairly inventive and the writing is rather good, especially for having two authors, in my humble opinion. And I mostly genuinely liked Lilac and Tarver (despite the idiotic names) for the first half of the book -

right up till they started having a physical relationship. Because up till then I was liking how they were coming to rely on each other and become friends. And then...it turns into lying around all day having sex and when they do get their asses into gear, it's still constant kissing and caressing. Yet somehow they still manage to set off the bomb and get Lilac killed. They're good multi-taskers, I'll say that. And then I start liking them again a bit more towards the end of the book. There's like this 50 page section smack dab in the middle of the book where I dislike them and their relationship, and then everything else I liked well enough.

But the worst part about their relationship is that it feels like it's all a distraction from the world and their seemingly spiraling sanity. It doesn't feel like love. I do think that they came to truly care for one another - though how much of that was purely circumstantial could be debated - nevertheless, Tarver and Lilac's relationship felt to me like they were only "together" because they had to be. Because it was convenient. Because they were all alone on a planet together. I don't know, maybe that's not what it was, but that's partially what I saw in it.

And was I the only one who didn't quite feel that things were explained very well?? And the ending was pretty stupid. And, how could I forget this little gem, the whole "Lilac is dead not dead she's alive energy aliens brought her back but her body is in a grave but it's her because it is her and her mind and memories and it looks like her but it's not her" thing was. Just. Absurd.

(show spoiler)

Content: Fade to blacks, kissing, innuendos. Go forth; you have been duly notified.