Elevetha

A Sea of Stars

Teenaged. Clinomaniac. Caffeine Addicted. Fangirl. Bibliomaniac. Introverted.

Challenge Participant
Veiled Rose - Anne Elisabeth Stengl
The cover is...pretty but I'm not sure that that is a good representation of Rose Red. Maybe in the Dragon's mind?

On the one hand, this book felt too long. Too many unimportant things going on making me bored.

On the other hand.....I liked having the information that we got from Leo and Rose Red's childhood. Seeing them grow up. And then, obviously, Leo's running off when we would have met him in [b:Heartless|9366919|Heartless|Anne Elisabeth Stengl|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328357280s/9366919.jpg|7323002].

50/50, I guess.

Again, I feel that the Christian themes are nice but are very clumsily tied in. Rather disjointed and they feel, while reading the story, thrown in, jumbled around, and left there to stew.

I really liked that we got Leo's story as I was confused as all get out as to his motives and personality in [b:Heartless|9366919|Heartless|Anne Elisabeth Stengl|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328357280s/9366919.jpg|7323002]. I still had a few questions. Mainly, why the heck didn't he just tell Una in [b:Heartless|9366919|Heartless|Anne Elisabeth Stengl|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328357280s/9366919.jpg|7323002], when she traversed the desert to come find him! Seriously, Leo? Have a little respect. Maybe even a thought process.

I often wanted to smack Leo. He acted like he wanted to be Rose Red's friend and to take care of her. But what does he do? He makes her a servant. Admittedly, it is a better life then she would have had had she stayed at House Hill but still....A servant? And then he ignores her for YEARS. Stupid Leo.
And then he decides to get engaged to Daylily. Well, we all know he isn't actually blind cause Daylily's hot (and Rose Red....isn't) but when it comes to matters of the heart; he's a (blind) bumbling FOOL.

Rose Red: I liked her but she didn't have much personality. Okay, yes, she saved Daylily and a slew of other people. I applaud her for that but that doesn't mean she had character.

Daylily: Oh, dear. I wanted to like her but I couldn't. In the end, it seemed like she was doing what she hadn't wanted to do earlier. And she was prissy.

But then again she accidentally fell in love with the man she was supposed to marry (but still hate because things are so much easier that way). He doesn't love her. He loves Rose Red(probably). Rose Red loves Leo. Daylily hates Rose Red. It's a vicious cycle.

Beana: Because every book needs a sassy know-it-all-and-you-better-listen-to-me-cause-I-know-best cute goat. Seriously. BEST CHARACTER.

Questions:

What is the loremythology behind the dragons?

The Lady and her brother, Death?? Explanation, please??

"Heart of my Beloved" nonsense??

Why does Dragon/Death want Rose Red?

Leo being idiotic?

How did Rose Red get to House Hill in the first place? This is answered in [b:Moonblood|11756117|Moonblood (Tales of Goldstone Wood #3)|Anne Elisabeth Stengl|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348748404s/11756117.jpg|16706363]'s prologue.

Where/Who did Beana come from?

CAN Beana talk?? Or does Rose Red hear her?

That ending:

Darn it. Now I HAVE to read [b:Moonblood|11756117|Moonblood (Tales of Goldstone Wood #3)|Anne Elisabeth Stengl|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348748404s/11756117.jpg|16706363]. I mean, I was going to already but now I HAVE to. You don't leave with that open-ended nonsense!! It just isn't done!