Elevetha

A Sea of Stars

Teenaged. Clinomaniac. Caffeine Addicted. Fangirl. Bibliomaniac. Introverted.

Challenge Participant
Airborn  - Kenneth Oppel 2.5 stars.

I enjoyed it. I did. But I kept comparing it to [b:Leviathan|6050678|Leviathan (Leviathan, #1)|Scott Westerfeld|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1275694232s/6050678.jpg|6226342]. There are enough similarities that I couldn't help it and I did try to be objective.

Let's start with characters, shall we?

Matt is nice but a bit bland. I'm sorry, but to speak plainly; he's in love with the airship, with the idea of flying, aaaand...that's pretty much it.

Kate: Oh, Kate. The sassier, I-just-don't-care character. I liked her, though she was a carbon copy of many girl characters I've run across recently. And I wasn't sure how I felt about her at the end. Feminism and all that. I was also confused....She's what? 14? 15? And the scientific community is letting her run around with her discovery? They're cool with that? Hmm, no.

The story: Pirates and Cloud Cats!! Not really what I was expecting when I picked it up. I mean, it was all centered about this animal that they call a "cloud cat" and its discovery.

description

And the pirates were there for some danger so we didn't get too bored.

Man, I'm ripping this up, aren't I? Well, in all honesty, it was good. Writing was good. Good imagery. A bit "meh" but I liked it and I'll probably try the rest of the books in the series.

Miss Clark: Don't bother yet, though. I'll let you know if the series is worth it after I'm done.

Also, Leviathan is loads better.