Elevetha

A Sea of Stars

Teenaged. Clinomaniac. Caffeine Addicted. Fangirl. Bibliomaniac. Introverted.

Challenge Participant

Alistair Grim's Odditorium

Alistair Grim's Odditorium - Gregory Funaro

The hodgiest hodge-podge of a book I've read in a long time. It had everything from Roman mythology to steampunk to fairies to sorcery to science-fiction to banshees to dragons, all set in London. It was a bit overwhelming, to be honest.

One thing that hooked me nearly immediately was the prose. I really enjoyed it. And despite the fact that you can't make heads nor tails of how everything interconnects, it is undeniably quite a fun hodgepodge and I'll be back for the second book.

Small nitpicks were that I disliked how Prince Nightshade randomly yelled "MINE!!!". And also that he lost any and all scariness at the end due to his silly actions, which didn't fit with the rest of his character. Eh. Oh, and I didn't honestly understand the Red/Purple Shadesmen thing. So Red Shadesmen are limited. Gotcha. But somehow if you have blue animus, and you add it to your LIMITED red animus, then BOOM, unlimited Purple Shadesmen?? I think I'm missing something here.

Typo:

""Nigel chuckled to himself and lead me through..."
Page 116

Content: Young Grubb is the result of an out-of-wedlock pregnancy. (which isn't so much content, but I don't usually expect MG to mention something like that so blatantly.)